Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Oh Brother. They LOVE Sushi!

And HOW, pray tell, would I know that?
Funny you should ask.

Am I the ONLY mother in America who takes their kids to chain grocery stores, runs them through the deli department  - and calls it dinner?
Surely not.

Not "surely not" that I wouldn't do it.
...but "surely not" that I'm NOT the only mother in America who calls this the new 'fast food' way of life.

Ya see, I've raised Emily thinking that deli departments are genius ideas designed for busy moms --allowing children to graze there.
Well, it's basically the store's way of thanking me for taking m-o-r-e time to come and shop there.
Correct?
Free crackers - and fancy ones, too, that we don't have at the house.
Cool spreads.
Delicious dips.
Sometimes little toothpicks loaded with chicken - you know, the protein part of the food group.

No.
We do not eat the grapes before they are properly weighed by the cashier.

However, it does seem that the girls have come upon some nifty little sushi rolls - with crab (ick!) - and a spot of spicy sauce drizzled over them.
All in the delicatessen department at our local grocery.
All at 5:00 in the early evening.
All for free.

I'm really not a mooch. Donna, Marlene, and I have joked for years that every time I go to their house I enter asking, "Did ya'll thaw somethin' out for me?"
They always do!!

I know now when I tell Emily and Molly to "go get the bananas, tomatoes, and lettuce and meet me on the frozen food aisle"....I can forget seeing them again before cash register check out time.
Yup.
They're in the deli department - getting on a first name basis with those who work there.

Kinda funny.
They steer clear of all the really fabulous cheeses. It's the Asian gene.
No like-a dee cheese.

Been fun times around our way: tailgate party at church, birthday celebrations with friends, Andy Griffith time at Nanny Carol's, finished watching The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on Family Night, piano lessons, LSU food fest party, playing in the park (Thank you, Jane!), getting to spend time with Uncle Skipper, and both girls rec'd certificates for the summer reading.

Emily and Molly both read 22-ish books this summer.
Emily's were a mixture of chapter books, required reading, and even graphic novels and/or classics with audio features.
Molly did the same - but much of hers was read to her. We did count all her ABeka books and Sally, Dick and Jane type books where she practiced, practiced, practiced over the summer.

We are thrilled that autumn is around the corner - the season where we appreciate any cool, crisp mornings/evenings, where we treasure the views of nature, and where we are so blessed to have faith, family, and friends on whom we place such high value.

"Wait not for tomorrow...today's the Golden Day!"

No comments: