Wednesday, April 10, 2013

No Chicken Heads. Thank you VERY much.

Our friends Forrest and Robin are in China as I type, and seems they're big time risk takers.
Actually, he'd just say he's enjoying the best Chinese food in the world.
Because it's from China.
And he's in China.

But the chicken head - beak, bill, eyes....the whole shmear?
On the plate.
As Molly says, "No SANK you."

Emily used to say that as well. Seems the "th" sound coming from Chinese lips often gets "essssss-ed" up.
Sank you for Thank you.
Happens.

But Forrest and Robin are now the proud parents of darling...okay....handsome Shaun. What an angel baby. We are so fired up for them and cannot wait to kiss those baby cheeks of his.
Shaun's.
Not Forrest's.
We'll leave the other to Robin.

Miss Molly has begun school and even gone on a field trip already. Go figure. She went to the zoo.
I was allowed to take her personally in my car b/c 7 out of 7 times she was in a van/on a bus in China....she threw up.
I wasn't gonna sign her up to ride a bus and - you know - in front of all her classmates.

She's doing GREAT in the car. Not needed a throw up "bag" since the first weekend home. We've been claiming that she's healed of motion sickness.
Amen.

Emily and Molly are sitting in the backseat of the car - when we ride with Nanny Carol to church or where-ever. Emily's teaching Molly to mimic certain statements such as, "Nanny Carol is a silly girl."
Molly LOVES it and bursts out laughin'. That's good for both the girls.
Sometimes it can get pretty quiet in the backseat - but it's b/c of the communication factor. Even when it's just Molly and me, I don't talk her ears off b/c she hasn't a clue about 99% of what I'm saying.
I do, however, want her to feel 'engaged' and noticed.

Another mom was in her car behind us on the way to the zoo today. When we got there, she said, "Wow. You're a great Tour Guide. I should've ridden with ya'll." She was referring to my pointing at trees, making motions.
I then explained to her my current status in life as the mother of a new daughter - home from China.
We use LOTS of gestures and facial expressions.
It works.
Good enough.
For now.

Molly is learning the sounds of the English language. Yes - that means cat, hat, fat, sat...starting off with short vowels. Once again I say, "Thank you, ABeka books. I LOVE you people!!"
She is doing 4th grade math and did well with mean, median, mode...and a little 4th grade girl sitting with her in the back of the class translating in Mandarin.
We have an English as 2nd Language program at my school....and we just work with the kiddos ANY way that is successful...in positive learning environments, rich with language and reading and "doing".

Balancing Emily's homework and working with Molly - yes. It's a balance act, but I assume with 2 kids it would be for ANY parent. So, I'm not special in that department.

We're all sleeping well.
We were not jet lagged - but the girls took a few naps the first weekend we were home.

Thanks to all our friends and family who've made the transition a super duper one. I keep saying, on a scale of 1 to 10.....I've hit an 11. Really. Phew. Thank you, Lord!

One last comment about f-r-i-e-n-d-s:
Our last night in China some of us went back to the restaurant across the street (I know. Shake in your boots....human beings crossing the street in C-H-I-N-A.) to eat. One of the dads came and chatted w/us for a second b/c he was getting his order to go. We told him we could all 'face the street' together and go back to our hotel if wanted to come with us.
His reply, "I've been staying in this same hotel the entire time since I left Beijing (approx. 12-ish days), and I have not ONCE crossed that street. I would NEVER cross it. I walk thru the underground tunnel."

We all started out the door and down the sidewalk.

Whaaaaaaaaa?
My jaw dropped.
Me, KK, my posse with me....following Steve: "WHAT underground tunnel?"
Steve....walking ahead of us: "The one up the street....about a block away. Oh yeah. I'm not crazy. I'm not puttin' myself or my family in that road."

I slurred out in a somewhat sarcastic but totally joking way: "Well. Hmpf. I guess a TRUE friend would've told me about this underground tunnel my first day in Guangzhou."
He replied, as he continued to walk on with his dry witted self: "Probably so. I hope you find one!"

Gasp!
(He really is a funny, poker faced kinda guy!! Super family.)




No comments: