Monday, March 11, 2013

How Many H-O-U-R-S Until We Leave?

Oh my.
I've run through a To Do list of ji-namic proportions.
It's so funny, to me, that the word ji-namic does not even exist.
Makes sense, tho.

Yep. Last week was a kicker. The magnitude of e-v-e-r-ything just came pushing down.
I spent about 1 1/2 hours doing nothing but printing necessary documents/information/guides (and some emails with well wishes).
Dotting all the i's.
Crossing all the t's.
Had to get yet another document printed off, completed, and notarized - on Friday. It was a U.S. waiver dealing with "immigrants and immunizations".
Someone asked me once if I TRULY believed authorities looked over all adoption papers closely.
My reply: I know they do. I had one document completed, notarized, certified by the Secretary of State's office, courier-ed to Washington, DC and held up at the Chinese Consulate because the notary left off her middle initial.
The phenomenal courier service - who specializes in int'l adoptions - took care of each detail on my behalf.
Repeat: I know they do.

On Friday I had to fax/email:
1. contract pertaining to dissolution of the adoption while still in China (a.k.a. calling it all off in China if any special needs are more profound than believed them to be - per files, updates, etc.) This is a serious issue and does not happen often; however, it has happened.
2. final itinerary agreement
3. credit card information to pay the final billing for intra country flights (separate from the flight to/from China), hotel bills, tour fees, and who knows what else
4. insurance information
5. some other papers that at this very moment - the remembrance of what they are/were...simply elude me

The orphanage has declined my request to come and visit. They have been very kind in answering my questions, delivering items to Molly (stuffed Panda, cake, photos of her soon to be family). I have solicited a service to send a jump drive to the orphanage to, hopefully, load it with photos of Molly, her friends, her caretakers, her living area, the surrounding city...ANYthing, anything that will serve as a memory-maker for her

So...I'll meet - Emily and I will meet - Miss Molly in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia - a provincial capital (of sorts). Molly will have to travel 20 hours to meet us.
How?
I have no idea.
Emily traveled by train to from Meizhou to Guangzhou when I first met her.
I won't know much more until I arrive in Hohhot and get the info 'first hand' - from the orphanage workers who will hand deliver her to me.

The update from the orphanage that I rec'd just last week stated that there have been NO other adoptions from this orphanage.
Zee. Eee. Are. Oh. = Zero
I was told early on by my adoption agency that I might well be the first person who has ever adopted from this SWI - Social Welfare Institute.
Can this be possible?
How?
Another adoptive mom - whom I've communicated with time to time since about 2007...but never met...wrote this (And yes...she uses small letters. I say she can do whatever she wants. She's a brilliant statistician among other things!):

"your daughter has to be so brave.  so, so, so brave.  she's NEVER seen another child leave.  she has no context as to what adoption is.  no point of reference.  she's leaving everyone who has loved her and cared for her.  all her friends.  to a total unknown.  a new place.  a new language.  new faces.  that's how much she wants a family.  she is so brave.  why did they even make her paper ready?  because she's either that special or she wanted it THAT much. or both."

The awesome-ness of it all has held me in great peace, and I sit back and marvel at how the Lord is using people in my life...near and far...to confirm His handiwork in all that is happening.

The only book I'm taking on the plane - for reading - is Kisses from Katie.
If possible, search it on the Internet and read some of her quotes or go to her blog if you get the time.
http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/

This is one thing sweet Katie wrote:
“I certainly don’t believe everyone should sell all of their belongings and pack a suitcase and move to Africa. I don’t think people all over the planet should drop everything to go somewhere far away from everything familiar and be missionaries. I believe anyone can be a missionary right where they are."

I've written how friends/family - all missionaries in their own right - have helped us along this journey, but just in the last few weeks...Cindy, mom - over and over and over, Janet S., Lisa, Forrest, Robin, Audrey Jane, my school family, my own family, Martha, Randy and Janet, Anne, Christy, Jean and her family, Esther and John, Marlene, Donna, KK, Kourtney, Jeffu, Cookie...all have encouraged and loved.

I'm overwhelmed at the goodness shown to us.

1 comment:

lisa said...

I'm so glad we are in this together. You give me the courage as a single mom two times over. Your faith encourages me. And my faith grows everyday. Thanks Friend.